ISBN 978-19998293-2-2. It is available NOW. It is a reorganisation of the existing book based on the new “Strands” in the curriculum. If you have the existing book you can still use it. We still have a few copies of the old book for sale if people need a copy before then.
Click here for the teachers guide to the new curriculum.
Strand 1: Principles and Practice
Chapters on Drawing and visual communication, Materials, Safety, Tools and Electronic components.
Strand 2: Energy and Control
Chapters on Energy, Electricity, Electronics, Digital Control Systems and Automation and Robotics.
Strand 3: Technology and Society
Chapters on Technology and Society, Inventions and discoveries and Information and communication technology.
Resources for Projects:
Chapters on Assembling projects, Your technology projects and Design and Manufacture.
• Contains up-to-date content based on examination questions.
• Is age appropriate and visually attrractive, offering the right balance of colour, images and text.
• Focuses on design tasks and the application of technologies in projects.
• Presents the content in manageable “chunks” via worked examples, “Test yourself”, activities and past exam questions for each topic.
• Includes pleny of practice with sketching and project development, i.e. choosing and combining different materials, tools, processes, mechanisms and circuits to solve real life problems.
• Provides plenty of practice with carrying out calculations.
Click below to view:
A noteworthy feature of “Applied Technology for Junior Cycle” is the “Design and Manufacture” chapter. This provides an opportunity for students to bring together the knowledge and skills that they have gained from previous chapters, in order to answer the “Design and Manufacture” examination questions. This chapter also provides students with valuable practice in and experience of designing, sketching and building their own technology projects.
If you have any questions about the book or distribution please click here to contact us.
Paul Enright is an electrical and electronic engineer, IT and business consultant and technical writer.
He has worked in both multinational and Irish startup companies and is now an independent consultant.
Paul played a key role as project consultant on “Technology for Leaving Certificate” publication.
Project Folder/Design Folio template
Paul Enright has kindly produced a template for the Project Folder/Design Folio.
The template supplements Chapter 22 of the textbook, “Your Technology Projects”. The headings and notes in the template are just suggestions and prompts. Students can edit it as appropriate.
It is in Microsoft Word, copyright free and you may download it by following the link below: